Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Ilford HP5+



One of my favorite films of all time is Fuji Neopan 400.  It was a bit harsh on the grain, but I loved it for that because I'm just am order-out-of-chaos kind of guy.


Recently though, Fuji discontinued Neopan 400, along with a bunch of other beloved films. B&H and Adorama have run up their stock of it.  I suspect the move was made so that they could focus on their amazing line of digital cameras. I have maybe one or two rolls left in the freezer that I'm saving for a special occasion.



I decided to finally check out Ilford, a company out of the UK known for their black and white films. I always found Ilford HP5+ to be comparable to Neopan.  Like Neopan 400, the grain is sharper but more prominent than Kodak's Tri-X, which contributes harshness but at the same time adds a crisp edge to things.  I find it a bit boring in the midtones, but the shadows and highlights are very alive.  All the photos in this post were shot on HP5+.

I just ordered a bunch of it, and I'm looking forward to getting more acquainted with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment