Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Year in Review: 2014

As we say at the end of every passing year: Man, that was quick.



At least, that's what I said right before I started sorting through the photos I would put into this post.  I couldn't believe I took these pictures all in the same year.  In no particular order, this year I:

Went to Seoul.


Got a membership at the ICP.


Made my own business cards.



Went to the beach.


Went for a walk in the rain.


Celebrated Mother's Day.


Learned how to use wide angle lenses.


Photographed a wedding (wow, I still can't believe that was THIS year).


Replaced my Sony RX100 with an Olympus XA.


Went to another wedding, but not as photographer.



Bought a Leica.


Borrowed a Voigtlander Vito II.


Learned to use an even wider lens.

 

Hung out with friends.


Took a picture of a cat.


Went to Iceland.


And just took a lot of photos.








Whew.  

Anyway, this post wasn't really meant to be a best-of.  It's more of a collection of the in-betweens that get forgotten in time in favor of the heavy hitters -- the ones I kind of forgot I took.  Years feel short because we forget all of the little details.  Life would be pretty exhausting if it was just a solid chain of salient events.

And that's why I'm glad I started this blog.  I honestly didn't think it'd make it through the year.  I thought it would either turn into a slog or just be abandoned completely.  You are currently reading post #66 of a blog that started about a year ago.  Granted, almost half of that was from that daily blogging in November that never really made it the entire month.

2014 felt short, but going through the photos I took really stretched it back out and brought me back to the spot where I stood when I took them.  I learned a lot, too.  I thought I was only a street photographer, but having gone through so many different styles and taking photos with all different cameras and equipment really brought me back to the beginning -- just a photographer in search of a good photo.

Now I see why people keep diaries.  If you use Facebook or Instagram, go back and scroll through your year.  Don't just use the auto-year-in-review stuff -- check out the days when you complained about the bus being late, or when someone did something nice for you, or when you had a few good drinks with friends and family.  There's bound to be something you forgot.

Trust me, 2014 was just as long as any other year, and we got plenty done.  2015 will be just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment