Thursday, January 9, 2014

Street Photography




I don't have much to say about what street photography is that hasn't been said already, so here's the lazy link to Wikipedia if you're unfamiliar with the concept entirely.

For this post I'll stick as close as I can to what street photography means to me.

I've always been on the fence about applying the term "street photography" to my work. You don't always need to be on the street or even an urban environment to do it. Also, the word "street" gives it a bit of a gritty graffiti'ed aftertaste that I don't always find to be an integral part of my work. The Wiki gets kind of weird with some sort of "it's about a time, not a place" thing, but that's way over my head.

For now I'll just go along with it for lack of a better term.  Street photography, as far as this blog is concerned, is photography of candid, unposed, unscripted moments in public areas.

Life, basically.

There's argument over the ethics of capturing images of people in public areas.  I have to admit, getting blasted in the face by Bruce Gilden's corded flash and being thanked by his gaptoothed grin doesn't really sound like the makings of a good time.  I personally wouldn't mind, but it's not something I feel comfortable doing to other people.  I do like looking at his photos though.

As for the privacy issue, it's a public space after all, and anyone is free to walk past and witness it.  To be honest, I'm not really as interested in what the subjects are actually doing as much as what they're being a part of.

New York City is home to 8.3 million unknowing actors stuck on a crowded stage starring in a play with no intended audience.  If you stand at a street corner for just a little bit, little scenes pop up.  The cast walks on set and stands in just the right places, under just the right lighting and making just the right poses.  It just wouldn't be the same without them.  Without them, it's just a street corner.

If you stop and watch, it's actually quite beautiful.

Here are a few street photographers I like to follow:
Rinzi Ruiz (Flickr)
Marius Vieth (Flickr)
Maciej Dakowicz (Flickr)
Junku Nishimura (Youtube)


No comments:

Post a Comment