Sunday, March 2, 2014

Business Cards and Contact Printing



When I went to the Krappy Kamera reception a few weeks ago I met a lot of really cool people, most of them photographers.  They kept handing me their business cards, which was really cool because I never had a chance to talk to professional photographers before.  Unfortunately, I had nothing to offer in return except for, "Well um, I have this little blog with [back then] 5 posts on it."

So, I needed business cards but I had no idea how many I needed -- my biggest fear is having a stack of 500 printed and then never handing any of them out.  I'm dreading the day when I'm old and broken and I find a dusty box in the attic with 498 pristine business cards, a reminder of that time when I thought I'd make something of myself.

I'm just kidding.  I'm having a blast with this blog, and I'm getting great feedback from people, and I'd love to have something to give to people I meet to direct them here.

Today, I printed 64 business cards.  In the darkroom.  These will basically be my rookie card.  If I ever make it big (haha), there's no way it would be at all practical to continue doing this.  Here's how I did it:



This will be a contact print.  Basically, you stick something transparent on a piece of photo paper, weigh it flat with a piece of glass, expose it to light, and get a negative image.  All the transparent parts go black and all the opaque parts go white.  If you do this with negative film, you get a negative of a negative, which is a finished photo.



I printed out the guidelines and text on transparency paper (this was the only digital part of this process), and laid some negative frames on top of it, with a dab of glue on a corner of each one to hold them in place.

Then I turned off the lights and put everything on top of a piece of photo paper, and put that into my contact printer.  A contact printer is basically just a heavy piece of glass on a hinge.  It holds everything completely flat (in contact, hence "contact printing") with each other.  If anything isn't perfectly flat, it comes out blurry.

In the old days, sometimes press photographers would set everything up in their hotel rooms, and then flick the lights on for a certain amount of time to expose their contact sheets (more on contact sheets later).  I used the enlarger though, because there's more control over the process because I can use a timer and a contrast filter.



And then from here, it's like wet-printing any other photo.  It goes in the developer, then the stop bath, then the fixer, and it's ready to hang up and dry.








There are two types of photo paper -- fiber-based and resin-coated.  The woman I bought my enlarger from included a big stack of old, unexposed fiber-based paper.  I've been avoiding it because it's old, but I figured I'd finally put it to some use.  Fiber-based paper yields better image depth over resin-coated, but it curls a lot as it dries.  By the next morning, if left to hang freely, these papers will be rolled up like cannolis.




So, I had to weigh them down with something until they dried.  What better than this:


Remember when I mentioned contact sheets earlier?  Contact sheets are when you cut a roll of negatives into strips and contact print them all together so you can inspect them in positive form.  Here's one of mine from when we went to Blue Hill at Stone Barns and went for a walk around the farm:


Disclaimer: my contact sheets are not nearly as organized as Magnum's.  They're completely out of order and some strips are upside down.  Not to mention, the photos aren't nearly as good.

Anyway, Magnum Contact Sheets is a collection of a whole stack of Magnum Photos' contact sheets.   The book is gigantic, and perfect for flattening prints.  You'll see contact sheets from big names like Robert Capa and Henri Cartier Bresson along with tons of others.  It's great because it includes the photos in between the iconic photos that have made history.  

Originally I was thinking, "these guys can't just be shooting keeper after keeper, roll after roll." but that's just what they did.  This book is the highest density of photography per cubic inch you can ever experience in physical form.  If you're remotely interested in photography, or how it's made, you should definitely have a look at this book.  Just be prepared to lug home 8 pounds of photography.

20 comments:

  1. If you want to start your business on the right note, you should definitely seek the help of a reputable printing company that offers services such as cheap flyer printing and DVD duplication services. cheapest color copies

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is different, printer will experience a paper jam problem. Make sure that the paper type matches what is in the printer properties. If not, correct it. 123 hp setup

    ReplyDelete
  4. A main consideration is what color of t-shirts will you be using for your tee shirt printing? There are no major issues when you print on white tee shirts. corporate gift

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extremely intriguing online journal. A lot of web journals I see nowadays don't generally give anything that I'm keen on, however I'm most definitely inspired by this one. Recently felt that I would post and let you know. prototyp

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are viewing come up with alter in most of the living, starting point generally L . a . Weight reduction cutting down on calories platform are a wide stair as part of your attaining that most agenda. weight loss druk 3d szkolenie

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are, be that as it may, more restricted in the range and size of printing media that can be utilized - for the most part letter-estimate paper or littler.druk 3d warsztaty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every week-end I used to pay a fast visit this site, because I’d like enjoyment, because this web site conations certainly fussy material.business cards

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not all promoting works, so it is critical to see how advertisements function, why some succeed while others come up short, and what your promotions should comprise of to create the expand ROI. cheap flyer printing

    ReplyDelete
  10. The vast majority accept that the quality is okay in the event that they've never observed their photographs printed professionally.3d printer reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. For example, individualized letters can be imprinted with a one of a kind name and address on each and every correspondence.post card printing

    ReplyDelete
  12. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here!
    john faraday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extremely fascinating online journal. Alot of online journals I see nowadays don't generally give anything that I'm keen on, however I'm most definately intrigued by this one. Recently felt that I would post and let you know. 55printing

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are not the average blog writer, man. You certainly have something powerful to contribute to the World Wide Web. Such a outstanding blog. Ill come back again for more. Imprentas en Cancun

    ReplyDelete
  15. That way you can read your postal mail on the web. Virtual mail organizations get your mail and you can see what you got on the web. You can likewise choose what you have to do with your mail through an online applications. So if your work excursion goes on for just a couple of days, you can solicit mail office to filter substance from your mail and read it like you would read an email.rv parts used

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards, cheap every door direct mail - eddm postcards - 55printing

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was searching the internet checking out some stuff and found your site. I wanted to tell you that I think your site has some good content and that I have already favorited this site so I can visit again soon good job! https://bandanasupply.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Inkjet and laser printers have three dimensions of value, that is, the task settings, ordinary and best. ww.qatarday.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways. I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers. UV Printer

    ReplyDelete